My parents’ super nice neighbor is helping them screen in their second floor porch. My dad has been ‘building that porch’ for about six year. And now, thanks to his neighbor, the porch is almost done after one week of work! So I’m making the neighbor a quilt for his trouble. Him and his wife are marathoners, but I couldn’t think of a good quilt idea that had to do with running. But then my dad told me he’s a hunter! And then I was looking through Boo Davis’s awesome book Dare to be Square Quilting, and found this awesome pattern.
So I picked out my fabric – a mix of kona solids, some of the new yellow print from the DS Quilts line at Joanne’s, and some random blue prints and a brown woven.
My favorite part of Boo’s quilt is the bits of red and yellow, and they’re not included in the cutting instructions – so I went through her pattern and wrote them in just like she has in the photo and subtracted out the blue pieces they would replace.
It only took about 3.5 hrs to do all the cutting – super easy pattern!
And then in an hour, I knocked out 4 blocks – the top row of the quilt. But it was so late at night, the color of this photo stinks.
More (better) pictures to come! I can’t wait to finish it up. I highly recommend this book.
My kid is dino crazy. They had a special Dinosaur Train deal at the Houston Zoo a few weeks back, and if you wore a costume, you got a prize. Well, we only have superhero costumes around here, so I whipped up some pterodactyl wings real quick.
For inspiration, we used this shirt…now a little too small, but it worked for one more day.
First I sketched out what I was aiming for – just the webbing that hangs down from their arms.
I started with a rectangle folded over to give me the double sided wing that I was aiming for:
Then I used some fancy stitches that kind of look like fangs to make casings for my bendy straws – these are the ‘veins’ in the glider wing, so they hold their shape. After sliding the straws in, I cut away some arches in the bottom and then sewed the bottom closed with some top-stiching. I sewed right over the straws so they wouldn’t fall out.
After making two ‘wings’, I connected them with some binding with a backpack clip in the middle (because pterodactyls grow so quickly!). On each end of the binding, I sewed a smaller double fold bias strip with a little snap, so I could attach the wings to his wrists.
And to keep the glider up in the center of his shoulders, I just safety-pinned it to his shirt.
And some action shots: