Let’s talk about some of the new shows on this summer. Memphis Beat? Anyone watching it? I like it. The pilot made me cry a little, which is always good. No characteristically funny stuff from Jason Lee, but good drama, for sure. And I always love when a show is really part of it’s surroundings – I’m looking forward to lots of good Memphis music.
Top Chef DC is off to a great start. Who else was surprised that the middle school kids loved the carnitas tacos with pickled onions?
Work of Art is awesome. Full of kooky, crazy artists. Art is SO SUBJECTIVE, I was really curious how they were going to pull this off. But when you think about it, it’s not like we can taste the food on Top Chef or necessarily ‘get’ the fashion preferences of the Project Runway contestants. I’m totally enjoying watching the little bits of the artists’ process that we get to see, and I’m especially enjoying the crazy coming out. I loved Nao’s quote in the first episode…something like, “I already feel like I won, so I’m going to be liberal with my criticism.” And Miles keeps winning and he’s the craziest of all. And I’m not even talking about the OCD. I mean, why WHY why would he interrupt the judges and critique a fellow contender’s work? Crazy is not the right word. And I love watching them shop for art supplies way more than the visits to Whole Foods or Mood. I wish someone would give me $100 and an empty bag in an art supply store.
My most favorite show at the moment is So You Think You Can Dance…I seriously love Kent. And I love ALL the all stars – I’m so happy to see them dancing again. They definitely should have kept Christina and cut Melinda, though.
Pretty Little Liars/Make It or Break It/American Teenager – mind candy. I watch them all. I like Pretty Little Liars a lot – I almost feel bad putting it in the same category as the other two, because the acting is really a lot better – and I love to see Holly Marie Combs in something new. But since it’s essentially a teen Desperate Housewives, it still falls in the mind candy category.
Lie to Me is great – I’ve missed Mekhi Phifer in the first few episodes, though. I hope he’ll be around more.
I’m also watching:
- Merlin on SyFy
- Burn Notice, Royal Pains and In Plain Sight on USA – all great
- Friday Night Lights (so awesome, always)
- Leverage on TNT
- some new shows – Persons Unknown (so far, so good) and The Gates (just Okay…I mean, how many creatures will they introduce? vampires, werewolves, succubi, witches…too many – no focus), Scoundrels (seems like a rip off of The Riches, but Virginia Madsen is good, so I’ll watch), Rookie Blue (first episode…meh. we’ll see.)
- The Good Guys – very entertaining so far, and excellent classic rock soundtrack
- Kathy Griffin, My Life on the D List – super hilarious. Start watching it today. I just wish it was for free somewhere online.
- If I Can Dream – reality show on Hulu. Gigliani is pissing me off and I want to see more Kara, but entertaining.
Lots of good stuff coming up: Rubicon, The Glades, Haven, Eureka, The Closer, Rizzoli and Isles…you see why I’m not getting any sewing done.